Recipe from Education Outside Cooking the Common Core
Ingredients (makes 15 wraps)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup mixed herbs (mint, parsley, cilantro, sorrel)
- 1/4 cup currants
- salt and pepper
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare a large bowl of very cold water on the side (Ice water is ideal).
- Place the bulgur in a large bowl and add enough hot water to cover. Let rest for 10-15 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Blanch the chard leaves and then immediately place them in a cold water bath.
- Once cool enough to handle the leaves, slice off each chard stem and set the leaves on paper towels to dry. Finely chop chard stems and set aside.
- Blanch the chives and then immediately place them in the cold bath.
- Add the chard stems, citrus juice, oil, herbs, and currants to the bulgur and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place two tablespoons of the tabbouleh into the center of each chard leaf. Fold the bottom half up, then both sides in, and then roll towards the top edge to seal.
- Wrap each chard bundle with a chive and tie a knot.